Tuesday 12 May 2015

educated but still an illiterate



I do not remember seeing daddy in at home today so who else is watching this boring News channels? This is a 28 years graduate asking me that. I can't say I was not disappointed or shocked by her question. She is just one of many who went to school just to have a certificate and a job not to enrich themselves with wisdom and common sense. I never knew getting to know about what's happening in the world in one which we live in as become a such a big deal or something for the old.

I know thereading culture is not greatly practised by us black people like reading news papers and novels but I thought television since it is a very captivating kind of media will encourage young people more especially black people to watch educative programs and get to know more about the world.
I was not surprised when she told me her favourite channel is Africa Magic. .'lmao' and can not remember the day she ever took the remote and turned in to a news channel. I asked her where does she normally get her news and other information from and she had this very big smile on her face while saying it..."from people like you who watch the news and even from the streets".
This guy also told me watching news channels make him feel old and whenever he sees me watching it he feels like I am jumping the youthful stage in my life. I wonder where people get such ideas and mentality from.

 Sometimes we think illiterate people are just the ones who did not see the see the four walls of a classroom but even some educated people can still be considered as illiterate. Illiteracy is when you have no background knowledge about something. You can be a computer illiterate. We did not go to school just to know about our field but also to have a general knowledge about life and the world in which we live in. The media is not just there for entertainment but also to inform and educate. Be smart and watch wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment